Sweet Potatoe PieRecipe by Fatima SydowCourse: AppetizersCuisine: American
- For the Pie Crust
2 & 1/2 cups of cake flour
230 grams of cold butter cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of castor sugar
1/4 cup of ice-cold water
For the Pie Filling
- For the Pie Filling
1 kg of sweet potatoes ( orange flesh)
100 grams of butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of fine Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1/2 cup of evaporated milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 egg yolks
- To make the pie crust
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and give a few stirs with a spoon.
- Next, add the cold butter and using your hands rub the butter into the flour mix with the palm of your hands until you see pea sized little shapes.
- Add the cold water and bring the dough to together to form a smooth dough. Don’t overwork it.
- Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. You can also do the pie crust in a food processor the night before.
- For the pie filling
- Microwave the sweet potatoes until soft, remove skin and mash with the butter in a bowl. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. For a smoother texture, blend or put in food processor.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease with butter a pie dish. Roll out the pie crust on a floured surface and gently press into pie dish.
- Any leftover pie dough can be refrigerated and used again. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and fill with the pie filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes, reduce the heat to 160 °C and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Refrigerate for a few hours to set well. Serve with whipped cream.
The Children’s Hospital Trust (CHT) is proud to call some of the most loved local and international personalities our ambassadors who dedicate their time and energy to supporting our work. But, being an ambassador for a cause is more than just volunteering your time, it’s…
Slow braised Steak22nd Oct 2019
By: Fatima Sydow Cooks
- 2 kgs of Tenderized Steak
- 4 tablespoons of oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 green, red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 4 tablespoons of Apricot chutney
- 3/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 fresh chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- Step 1 In a large pot on medium to high heat, add the steak and garlic and cook for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 In the meantime, add the oil in a heated large pan. Add the onions, bay leaves, sliced peppers and fry until golden.
- Step 3 Next, add the caramelized onions and peppers to the steak and the rest of the ingredients and cook on a medium to low heat for about 90 minutes or until tender. Stirring when necessary and adding only half a cup of water every 30 minutes.
- Step 4 Serve with rice and vegetables of your choice.