Sweet Potatoe PieCourse: AppetizersCuisine: American
- For the Pie Crust
2 & 1/2 cups of cake flour
230 grams of cold butter cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of castor sugar
1/4 cup of ice-cold water
For the Pie Filling
- For the Pie Filling
1 kg of sweet potatoes ( orange flesh)
100 grams of butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of fine Cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1/2 cup of evaporated milk
2 extra-large eggs
1 egg yolks
- To make the pie crust
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and give a few stirs with a spoon.
- Next, add the cold butter and using your hands rub the butter into the flour mix with the palm of your hands until you see pea sized little shapes.
- Add the cold water and bring the dough to together to form a smooth dough. Don’t overwork it.
- Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. You can also do the pie crust in a food processor the night before.
- For the pie filling
- Microwave the sweet potatoes until soft, remove skin and mash with the butter in a bowl. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. For a smoother texture, blend or put in food processor.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease with butter a pie dish. Roll out the pie crust on a floured surface and gently press into pie dish.
- Any leftover pie dough can be refrigerated and used again. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove and fill with the pie filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes, reduce the heat to 160 °C and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. Refrigerate for a few hours to set well. Serve with whipped cream.