Strawberry PieCourse: Dessert
For Pie Crust
2 & 1/2 cups of cake flour
230 grams cold butter cut into cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup ice-cold water
For the Pie Filling
2 cups sugar
2 packets / 80g Strawberry jelly
2 cups cold water
6 tablespoons Cornflour/ Mazeina
- For the Pie Crust
- Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and give a few stirs with a spoon. Next, add the cold butter and using your hands rub the butter into the flour mix with the palm of your hands until you see pea-sized little shapes.
- Now, add the cold water and bring the dough to together to form a smooth dough. Don’t overwork it. (This can also be done in a food processor.) Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Next, roll out the dough on a floured surface – half a cm thick. Place gently into a greased pie dish and trim the edges with a knife.
- Blind bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Remove the baking paper and beans, poke holes with a fork on the base and egg wash the crust and bake for 3 minutes or golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Directions for Pie Fillings
- First, wash the strawberries then remove the stems and leaves and cut in half , put in a bowl and set aside.
- Next, in a large saucepan or pot, add the water, sugar and corn flour and stir with a whisk for 2 minutes. Next, switch on the heat of the stove and add the jelly. Stir and cook on medium heat until the sauce has thickened — about 10 to 15 minutes. Next, pour the sauce over the strawberries and place in the fridge to cool down for 20 minutes.
- Now spoon the filling into the cooled baked pie crust and set in the fridge for about 2 hours. Before serving, decorate and pipe whipped cream on top. That is: 1 cup of fresh cream whipped together with a teaspoon of vanilla and 2 tablespoons of icing sugar until stiff.
- – When blind baking, the pie crust is lined with parchment paper and then filled with uncooked beans or rice, and then baked.
– You can also replace the sugar in this recipe with Xylitol.