Carrot CakeCourse: Dessert
This cake is so light and moist. Delicious !!!!
For the cake:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup castor sugar
3 Large eggs at room temperature
2 cups of sifted Cake flour
2 cups finely grated Carrots
1 teaspoon of Baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup of chopped toasted Walnuts
Small can of crushed Pineapple ( strained from juice)
3/4 cup Oil
1 tablespoon of Vanilla essence
2-3 teaspoons of fine cinnamon
1 teaspoon of mixed spice
Keep a few walnuts one side for decorations
Fatima’s Cream Cheese frosting
250 grams of butter ( room temperature)
2&3/4 cups of sifted icing sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
250 ml cream cheese (Room temperature)
- For the cake
- Beat your eggs and sugars with electric mixer for 2-3 minutes, add the oil and vanilla essence and beat for another minute
- Now, sift all dry ingredients together and add to mixture. Mix this in with a spatula or spoon
- Next, add your carrots, pineapple and walnuts – fold these ingredients in with a spoon or spatula till just combined. Don’t over work batter as this will result in a tough dense texture.
- Spoon the batter In two round standard size greased baking tins and bake for half an hour at 180°C. Or test with a skewer and if it comes out clean your cake is done.
- Cool cake completely before decorating.
- For the cream cheese frosting
- With electric mixer beat your butter until light and creamy – about 3 minutes. Add half of your sifted icing sugar, the vanilla and lemon juice and whisk till well combined.
- Add the remaining sifted icing sugar and whisk till combined – about 2 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add your cream cheese, loosen and stir with a spoon for about a minute.
- Take 1 cup’s worth of your vanilla frosting and whisk it in with the cream cheese for a few seconds. Add another cup of frosting and whisk till combined.
- Next take the remaining vanilla frosting and stir in lightly with a spoon with the cream cheese frosting. Place in fridge and chill for 10-15 minutes before using. Decorate your cake .
- Tip – roast your walnuts in oven or in a pan on the stove top for 5 minutes on high heat to bring back the oils and adds extra crunch.