HertzoggiesCourse: DessertCuisine: Cape Malay
500 g butter
1 cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
5 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups desiccated coconut
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 cardamom pod
1 cup fine apricot jam
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until creamy. Add the vanilla essence and the egg and beat for a minute. Add the dry ingredients and mix together until a soft dough is formed. Cover and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- To make the coconut filling, add all the ingredients except the apricot jam in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer until all the liquid has evaporated. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough and using a flower cookie cutter, cut out shapes and transfer to a greased shell pan. Fill each one with a teaspoon of coconut filling.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately spoon a teaspoon of jam next to the coconut filling on each biscuit.
- Put the biscuits back into the oven and bake until the edges are a golden colour.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.