Romany CreamsCourse: DessertCuisine: Cape Malay
350 g butter
1 cup caster sugar
2 tbsp. icing sugar
4 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp baking powder
2 & ½ cups flour
¾ cup of cocoa powder
1 & ½ cup desiccated coconut
200 g plain chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Place the butter and the sugar in a large bowl and beat together until creamy, then beat in the egg, oil and vanilla essence. Add all the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Work the dough together to form a soft ball.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and put a piece of cling wrap or baking paper on top. Roll out to 1 cm thickness and scrape the top of the dough with a fork. Cut shapes with a round cookie cutter and transfer to a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Spread the chocolate over the undersides of half of the biscuits and top with the remaining biscuits.