Mince CurryCourse: MainCuisine: Cape Malay
1 kg of steak mince
3 onions, peeled and finely chopped
3 cardamom pods
4 cinnamon sticks
5 curry leaves
3 tbsp of fresh garlic & ginger finely grated
1 tsp turmeric
3 tbsp of roasted masala
1 tsp of chili powder
Salt to taste
6 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
1 cup of peas
3 tbsp of fresh coriander roughly chopped
3 tbsp of oil
- Heat your oil in a large pot on medium to high heat.
- Add the onions, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks and curry leaves and fry until golden. Add the minced meat and garlic & ginger and braise for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next add a cup of warm water to the minced meat and cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes. Add the spices and salt and cook and stir for 10 minutes, add a little water at a time to prevent the spices from burning. Add the potatoes with 2 cups of warm water and cook until almost tender, add the peas and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the fresh coriander.
- Serve with basmati rice or roti.