Date & Walnut LoafCourse: Dessert
200 g butter
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup (125 ml) golden syrup
1 cup dates, chopped into chunks
1 cup (250 ml) hot water
2 & ½ cups flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
a pinch of salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C.
- Place the dates, hot water and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and give it one stir, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and creamy. Beat in the vanilla essence and golden syrup. Next, beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir in the soaked dates, half of the chopped walnuts and all the liquid.
- Spoon into a greased loaf pan and sprinkle over the remaining chopped walnuts. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Sift with a little icing sugar before serving.