Chocolate Swiss RollCourse: DessertCuisine: Cape Malay
- FOR THE CAKE
6 large eggs, separated
1 cup caster sugar
70 g of cocoa powder
1 tbsp cocoa powder to be sifted on parchment paper
- FOR THE FILLING
250 ml of fresh whipping cream
1 tsp of vanilla essence
2 tbsp of icing sugar
- CHOCOLATE GANACHE
150 g plain chocolate
½ cup (125 ml) cream
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C. Line a Swiss roll pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl with electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Sift the cocoa powder into the egg yolks and fold in until just combined.
- In a clean bowl, with clean whisk attachments, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold this into the egg yolk mixture. Spoon the batter into the prepared Swiss roll pan and spread it out evenly into the corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Turn the cake onto baking paper that’s been sifted with cocoa powder, carefully peel off the attached baking paper.
- For the cream filling, beat the cream with electric mixer until soft peaks form, add the vanilla essence and icing sugar and beat until stiff. Spoon the whipped cream over and roll up the sponge lengthwise, using the baking paper as a tool to help with the rolling.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate and cream together, stirring until smooth. Leave to cool for 6-8 minutes and pour the ganache over the log.
- Decorate with shavings of chocolate.