Somehow I always have leftover ingredients of the trifle. Not wanting to waste, I make a mini trifle in a smaller bowl, cover and place in the back of the fridge. Perfect for that next day craving or even a gift to a neighbour or friend. Who doesn’t love a treat like that?
1 jam Swiss roll
2 cups (500ml) of custard
1 tin canned cocktail fruit
1 tin canned sliced peaches
1 packet blackcurrant jelly
1 packet greengage jelly
100 g plain chocolate, grated
Fresh cherries and mint leaves
- WHIPPED FRESH CREAM
500 ml fresh cream
3 tbsp. icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla essence
- Make the jelly as instructed on the packets and place in fridge to set.
- Whip the cream with electric mixer until soft peaks form, add the vanilla essence and icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Cut the Swiss roll into slices. Layer half the cake slices on the bottom of a large trifle
bowl or any pretty round bowl. Pour over half of the canned fruit with the syrup included. Spoon dollops of custard, blackcurrant jelly and the greengage jelly as the next layer. Spoon over a thin layer of cream and some grated chocolate.
- Repeat the layering until you reach the top of the bowl. Spread over half of the remaining
whipped cream and with the other half spoon whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Pipe large rosettes on top of the cream layer. Decorate with fresh cherries, grated chocolate, and mint leaves. Put in the fridge to set for a few hours. For texture sprinkle over chopped nuts.