Potato pudding with Stewed dried fruitCourse: DessertCuisine: Cape Malay
1 kg potatoes, peeled
130 g butter
1 litre (4 C) full-cream milk
625 ml (2 & 1/2 C) sugar
125 ml (1/2 C) cake flour
5 ml (1 t) baking powder
30 ml (2 T) vanilla essence
45 ml (3 T) custard powder
2,5 ml (1/2 t) ground cardamom (optional)
- For the stewed fried fruit
750 ml (3 C) mixed dried fruit
250 ml (1 C) sugar
- Boil the potatoes in a pot full of water until soft. Drain and place in a bowl, then mash them with the butter and 125 ml (1/2 C) milk until smooth. Fold in the sugar, flour, baking powder and vanilla essence and mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsuis (or 160 degrees celsius for Thermofan oven).
- Mix a little milk with custard powder. Beat the remaining milk, the eggs and custard mixture together until well combined. Add this to the mashed potato mixture and stir until well combined. Pour the batter into a greased deep oven baking tray and bake for 1 hour. Take out of the oven and allow to set.
- Place the dried fruit mix in a pot with 250 ml (1 C) water and the sugar. Boil for 20 minutes and then allow to cool.
- Spoon the stewed fruit over the potatoe pudding. Slice into squares and serve cold.